Sharing thoughts about Taylor Hicks and concert travels and other musical musings!

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas - the presents....or presence?

"Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!" Those few words from Clement Moore's 'Twas the Night Before Christmas bring up all sorts of memories, especially of Christmases past.  This season is no different except that I'm older and possibly wiser.  At least I hope I am the later.

What does Christmas really mean to any of us?  Is it the food and parties, the lights, holiday music?  Or perhaps all the presents under the tree? 

For a child, it's probably the presents and the appearance of Santa Claus with lots of toys and goodies.  For a younger generation, it's maybe the food and parties. But at my age, it's more a time to pause and reflect - realizing that there won't be that many more Christmases as I'm well past my prime.

No, I find myself thinking more about the presence - the real meaning of Christmas.  It's a time to reflect and remember the birth of the Christ Child, the journey to Bethlehem for Mary and Joseph, the appearance of the star and angels to the shepherds and Wise Men.  It's a time to remember why we celebrate and a time to gather with family and friends.  It's taking time to help when and where we can. 

We have been given the greatest gift from God, the gift of his Son.  It's His presence that we should celebrate.  That's what Christmas means to me this year.

As I've seen quoted many times, "Wise Men (and Women) Still Seek Him".  As we seek Him, may we grow wiser and stronger, loving and loved, honored and honoring, and be thankful for all the  wonderful gifts our God bestows upon us.

Merry Christmas and Many Blessings for a Joyous Season!



Tags: , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be wonderful if during the entire year, we all would just " Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

cath

Some of My Favorite Pictures


Taylor%20HicksQuantcast